View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
turbothrush
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Love this thing. Have a few questions.

How many layers of glass do you use?

Could you give a rough price per square ft of construction? This is foam, cloth, resin, paint.

I own a Toyota Sunrader, which is a C class fiberglass clamshell construction RV.

Absolutely love it, but would love it more if I could bump the good (for an RV) mileage up from 17ish to something the other side of 20.

As the kids are grown, we don't need the extra bed provided by the aerodynamic train wreck of the cabover.

I would like to build a very sleek, lightweight B Class Toyota motorhome on an existing toy RV platfom.

There are literally thousands of old stick and staple Toyhouses out there that have suffered the fate of most, which is they are structurally shot due to water intrusion. Many of them have perfect frames and low mile 22RE drivetrains.

These things can be picked up for a pitance. I looked at one a few years back. 40K miles. It had an Onan 2800 generator that was optional on these and can bring 800 bucks in good shape. I could have bought the whole thing for 800 bucks! Maybe less, but I didn't have a shop to work on it.

I would have the dinette/bed forward, galley midship and a V shapped wet bath in the boattail rear.

I really thing such a rig could make 20 mpg with the 22RE, maybe 22-23 with a manual trans.

Give it a tdi re-power and we're talking Vixen RV mileage! Without all the Vixen headache that come when you use Renault in any part of your drivetrain.
i used 2 layers of 7 oz fiberglass cloth on each side and 3 layers on the front then skimmed the complete outside with micro ballons mixed with about 25% cabisol.it has good impact resistance.most materials from U.S. Composites. Primer and paint from System 3.

Compound curves in foam are not that hard. Get the foam as close to the final shape you want before glassing. The new sandpapers can cut epoxy based fillers no problem

Not sure of the shell cost .. ill dig out the receipts for you in a few days

i like your project idea very much.Hope you go for it. My goal is 20 mpg also but its not possible with the current setup so i picked up a Isuzu 4BD1T diesel for the Toyota tundra and i am going to make an adapter to mate it to a T56 Maginum 6 speed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbothrush For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-28-2019), skyking (09-01-2019)