View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
XaqFixx
EcoModding Lurker

Purple People Eater - '95 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)
Terrible Choice for Hypermiling

Howdy!
I'm Xaq - I drive about 120 miles a week it is a 75/25 highway & city streets split but not during rush hour. For a long time getting good mileage was easy, my daily commuter was a modified 250cc dual sport/supermoto motorcycle that ridden carefully would do 75MPG, even hooning it hard I would get 45.
Unfortunately, my bike is out of commission and I am left with my truck - a 1995 4X4 V8 Automatic Ford F150. I bought it as secondary transportation and to use it as truck - trips to the hardware store, the dump, an occasional tow, and on the very rare occasion to transport the bike. The previous owner warned me that he rarely got more than 12 MPG.

Now that it is my daily (unless I can borrow my wife's car) I've been working on improving my mileage. Through careful driving & not running the AC I've averaged 16.49 MPG across 2 tanks, 17.89 on the last one, my goal is 20 MPG. This tank is just started, but I added almost 15 PSI to each tire (48 PSI hot/44 cold per manufacturer recommendations), finally got cruise control working, and sea foamed the injectors so I should see a bump next visit to the pump.

I've ordered a vacuum gauge once it comes in and I have a day when it isn't in the 90s or storming I'll install it as well. I have a toolbox that has to stay with the truck but need to build a partial tonneau. I also hope to get the bike back on the road - instantly tripling my mileage

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck01.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	26762   Click image for larger version

Name:	KLX.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	26763