View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Angel And The Wolf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
Why the requirement to have both hands on the wheel?
The steering on my Prius is so sensitive that if I take one hand off, the weight of the other hand pulls the car that way. (Remember, I'm 71 and only getting older.)

Quote:
Also there would have to be some range in the brake operation, not just an on or off like is most likely present in the stalk.
Agreed. That's why I'm willing to go with the console mounted brake lever. I wouldn't have to take my hand from the wheel for long, and stopping is usually done when the car is going straight.
Just seems that if the cruise control activate point could be reprogrammed from 23 mph to 0 mph, I could take off from a stop with the cruise control stalk.

Quote:
The closest thing that comes to my mind is one of the knobs/pegs on the wheel and a hand lever with the gas and brake on it. I saw a setup similar to this on tv before. A quick search wouldn't pull it up though.
Yes, there are a number of these systems available, but most are several thousand dollars, and I'd like to do it much cheaper.

Quote:
Edit:
Like this, except instead of a clutch cable a throttle cable. The handle is connected to a relocated master cylinder (or a series of linkages)
https://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/61800...saAoTBEALw_wcB
Yeah, that might work, if I could mount it where my thumb could engage the cruise control while squeezing the throttle handle.