View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 12:55 AM   #40 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I replaced my timing belt, valve cover seals, and various other components 13.5 months ago and today I had multiple misfires. I had noticed an occasional misfire for at least a day or two, but I did not have a check engine light, and I was just worried about driving to and from my two jobs, and seemingly sleeping twice as much as until a week and a half ago.
I was driving from the school to my clients' house and the misfires got worse. I just wanted to make it to their house, but kind of think the goal was to make it back home afterward. However, they continued getting worse, and I pulled over and asked to reschedule when I got a CEL.
I plugged in my dongle, started Torque Pro, and drove straight to the only mechanic that I trust, and he told me to check the spark plugs on the cylinders having trouble. I do not have a shop fan, so I plugged in a battery tender, switched on my AC, and turned the key--without starting the engine. Once the engine was cool I pulled the plugs and those two were covered with oil.
I checked #3 just to be safe and it looked great.
That was with my bluetooth dongle and Torque Pro, but I also used my code reader from Harbor Freight. It also had four errors, but it showed misfires on 1, 2, and 4, and gave a code for random misfires.
#4 is also covered with oil.
Oddly, the #3 tube seal is clearly damaged, but seems to be holding.
I cannot imagine fixing this before I need to be at work tomorrow and I need to get to two jobs!