View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #6657 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
They may have to fabricate a catalyzing event,like 'Wag the Dog', which brings everyone together,putting petty difference aside,for the duration of whatever transition exercise they choose.We see it done in wartime.
The 1951 motion picture,'The Day the Earth Stood Still' would be a perfect metaphor for a catalyst.Everyone focuses on a common goal until it's over,then we can get back to petty squabbling when its behind us.
I don't see why the people who already thrive on business couldn't thrive in new endeavors.Since the fossil-fuels folks brought us all to this party,we might want to enlist them in whatever new enterprise we selected.They obviously know how to get things done.
Kamikaze attacks have a greater sense of urgency attached than seas rising a couple inches per decade. That's the difference between being thrown into a boiling pot, and having the temperature slowly raised.

There are many businesses already capitalizing on climate change, and I expect more to follow. Heck, nuke might even get pulled back into the mix at some point. I could see Big Oil diversifying so long as they can do so without undermining their primary profit, or replacing their primary profitability with something more lucrative.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-28-2019)