View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #6702 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Which is why the POTUS should have fundamental economics down, so they can have a conversation with experts. Each domain of knowledge has its own language, and contending with ideas requires having the basic vocabulary down.

You've clearly demonstrated this importance by having learned the language of climate change science and understanding the principles of it.

He's got a degree in economics, and seems to be fairly smart by my estimation. His gut got him into office, so he's no dummy. That isn't to suggest his values or methods are correct, but it would be a mistake to characterize him as unintelligent, despite his limited public vocabulary. As Peterson says, give the devil his due.

Scientists might know their domains of expertise, but the world is larger than a few narrow disciplines. Course of action requires more understanding.

There's a chance that I'll be on my deathbed one day saying I should have done more to forstall global warming. Perhaps there's a much smaller chance I'll say that I should have done less... most likely I'll say nothing of it. Tragedy befalls all of us, and it rarely involves environmental conditions.
According to Woodward,he never went to class.He got by with Cliff Notes,and was a C-student.
Having a degree in economics might not mean much.You can see how many economic crises, meltdowns,recessions,and depressions we've racked up.It's never been considered a science.'kind of a system de jour.
The book I'm currently reading on it has very little good to say about economists.When they were given direct,advance warnings about the 2008 meltdown,they chose to let the economy burn down.I know one economics professor from UNT and I consider him an enemy of the state.