View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
They're there for a reason...if you don't develop any problems, congrats...if you're not seeing an actual benefit (in the form of increased MPG), then I suggest sticking to what the manufacturer originally put in there.

Potential reasons not to...
RFI.
More current = over heated coil.
More current = melted spark plug electrode.
Potentially messing with spark timing, leading to better or worse gas mileage and/or higher emissions.

Despite all that, I'll be interested in seeing your results. My attempts, in my youth, at using high end plugs and "racing" plug wires resulted in worse gas mileage.
Great points, thanks. I don't expect to have a problem with the spark plugs because they are designed to not have a resistor and have a silver tip, but I wondered about possibly causing a problem with the coils by using these spark plugs. But the other side of that argument is that this may be easier on the coils because they won't have to work as hard or produce as much voltage to jump the gap with less resistance.

Do you think it's possible that the interference from these spark plugs could damage something over time, even though nothing seems to care at the moment? Or is it more likely that the electronics will simply not work correctly?