View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I've heard of some Prius batteries dying in taxis, and others that hold up over 300k miles. Some people theorize that passengers inadvertently cover the cooling intake which is built into the rear seat, or that dust ends up accumulating and blocking the cooling intake from people constantly getting in and out. The dead battery may be avoidable by periodically cleaning the intake vent. At the very least, it should be extremely easy to tell if the pack is getting too hot by using Torque and monitoring temps, perhaps setting an alarm if it exceeds some threshold. That would tell you when to clean the vents.

The Model 3 can be had for about $30k after incentives where I live, and the Bolt perhaps around $25k, and Leaf ~20k or less. Not sure if you have home charging access, but I'd be tempted by any of those options if I were driving for a living. I also like the idea of a used S with free supercharging.

I understand the concern of replacing an expensive battery, but if you're having to replace one due to extensive driving, then it's going to be way cheaper than paying for all the fuel and maintenance on non-hybrid vehicles in the long run.

The reason I lean towards an EV for Uber is that there's no maintenance except for tires and wiper blades. Just keeping the car on the road more days means more money. Not having to visit a petrol station is saving you time too; time which could be earning you more money.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!