View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How many of you unlock your phone with a fingerprint?

I did not set up this with my first Galaxy S6, but I forgot why when I got my second. It was funny how many times I went to put in my PIN, but it was already unlocked from my fingerprint.

There is something wrong with my second S6, the keyboard keeps disappearing when I type. I have used this phone for about a year, I got my money's worth, and now I am having difficulty with the Wi-Fi.

I figured that it was time for something else.

Linus Tech Tips has a video comparing a five-year-old iPhone and an Android that came out at the same time. They chose an LG G3 because it had a replaceable battery, but since the OS was out-of-date they unlocked it and installed Lineage OS. They said the LG was very competitive, but half the price even with a replacement battery.

I thought I would see for myself, except with car problems, two jobs, and other commitments I have not taken the time to set up the LG.

I just turned it on and did the basic setup. The first thing that stood out to me was that it does not have a fingerprint scanner.

I can unlock my Samsung and check my messages in four seconds, but it takes a couple of seconds longer to use the PIN. With two jobs, I check for messages dozens of times a day, although that may only add up to a minute or two.

However, the buttons are on the back, so I need to pick it up to unlock it. Woe is me!

Apparently the LG G3 came out before the Galaxy S6 and people compared the G3 to the S5, which still had a removable battery, but they said the fingerprint reader was terrible. They said the G3 had something better, "knock," which is like a PIN, but you only have four buttons, which was absolutely the best thing ever, except for when it locks your phone on your pocket, you need to use the PIN, and then reset your knock.

Other people complain that the S6 has an inadequate battery, while the reviews says the G3 had a surprisingly good one--except mine very well may be worn out. I have been using a battery case for over a year, which is great, except the case itself is fragile.

Who thought that was a good idea?!

When I shopped for replacement batteries I found an extended one, case, and replacement backplate for much less than normal batteries.

That seems better than a battery case.

Anyway, I do not have any idea how popular fingerprint unlocking is nowadays. I am sure that some just slide to unlock, but that is not an option with confidential information on my phone.

What do you guys do?