View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

I've been running a '96 7.3 F250 automatic since I bought it new 20 years ago. When I towed a 1967 27-foot aerodynamic Airstream travel trailer with the truck, I could get 15 - 17 mpg running at 55-60 mph. In 2006, I sold the Airstream and bought a new but squarish 27-foot Jayco travel trailer, and with it I average 14 mpg. I sold the Airstream even though it was more economic to pull because it was aging out and needed a lot of work. So, I bought a new Jayco for about a quarter of the price of a new Airstream because it was new and smelled good and most important, made the wifey happy. Since I don't pull the thing that much anyway, the tradeoff was well worth it to me.

To help with the fuel economy when pulling the squared-off Jayco, I did put a set of vortex generators (AirTabs) on the back of the trailer. However, I cannot certify any fuel savings. I can say the back of the trailer is cleaner with the AirTabs, and the trailer seems a little bit more stable in the wind and among the big trucks. In addition, I also attached a wing on the back of a campertop on the F250. Again, I can't certify whether there is any fuel savings or not. There may be some improvements over the long haul, but the difference is certainly not stark like there is between pulling the rounded Airstream compared to the squared Jayco.

I used to be proud that my big ole F250 diesel was among the most fuel efficient travel-trailer-hauling trucks out there loaded to the gills with camping junk. Then came the little diesels on the market that can achieve maybe 20 mpg towing, and my vanity has dissipated accordingly.