View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #6834 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
In the meantime,I'd have you consider what the federal government can sell a guaranteed bond for,compared to a share of stock on Wall Street.Then I'd have you consider the difference in operating cost of two identical enterprises,one with zero advertising and zero dividends to shareholders,compared to one created through an IPO,and an imperative to channel 'profits' to someone who'll never contribute an iota of personal capital to the operation,plus run advertising on every TV station,radio station,and print medium,plus equally maintain the enterprise,minus the expenses not shared with the publicly-owned clone.
I've been critical of the stock market. A 1-time capital raise results in trade activity that persists as long as the company is still around. That is extremely inefficient, and stock brokers contribute nothing of value to society, and the trade activity creates nothing too.

I've also been critical of advertising. It isn't used to inform people anymore, but to manipulate emotions. Whenever someone is trying to manipulate emotions rather than inform, they are attempting to circumvent reason, which is an extremely effective strategy. I absolutely loathe advertising. What's the alternative though, all of us living like Spock with little personality expressed?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-11-2019)