View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #934 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Just as a quick comment (I just couldn't read through 900+ replies) I know the OP wasn't about small trucks, but son of a gun they can be efficient and haul stuff too. I post on a Ranger forum and all I hear is "If you're worried about mileage then you should buy a small car." Then they all laugh. When I link to my Garage fuel logs they can't believe I get the mileage I do. It's a shame that when I try and share how I have done it, no one over there seems to care. Their loss. I love my little truck and don't think I could ever switch to a small car and trailer combo.
Where do you plan to carry your family? Or their gear?

Are you saying you aren’t responsible to or for anyone else?

A man alone doesn’t long survive.

I have a four door pickup that could seat six. Carry 2,500-lbs in the bed. Tow a trailer just over 20,000lbs.

Can get up to 21-mpg city and 27-mpg Highway solo. Over 1,000-mile range.

Doesn’t make it ideal as it was expensive when new, and potentially VERY expensive to repair. It might or might not outlast a car far cheaper and able to tow a trailer of some sort where re-supply for a week isn’t needed for six people.

What I’m saying is, put a framework around your assumptions. Examine more closely. If for any reason your vehicle isn’t up to the above, it wasn’t such a great choice. Abandoned in favor of another when it’s time to boogie.

If the reply is me, me, me then don’t bother.

The annual cost of fuel isn’t at the same level of importance as basic specification.