View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
bluesight
Hybrider

How about this to use to fit on Gov Ever's "Voice An Opinion" page? You should edit as you see fit, but please, I recommend all WI "members" submit these comments to Gov Evers to show the commitment of our community:
---
Governor Evers,

I am a member of the community of hybrid-electric vehicle owners, specifically, gas-only hybrid-electric vehicle owners. I respectfully request that you instruct the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WI DOT) to stop collecting the $75 hybrid-electric vehicle fee that is now being imposed on gas-only hybrid-electric vehicles pending challenges to the legislative and WI DOT definitions that form the basis that justifies the fee, and to the processes and procedures WI DOT uses to select vehicles that will be charged the fee.

Other members of this community have contacted you about the poorly worded and unworkable legislative and WI DOT definitions being applied to hybrid-electric vehicles. They have also challenged the opaque and apparently arbitrary processes and procedures WI DOT is using to target vehicles for the $75 fee. The bottom line is that gas-only hybrid-electric vehicles exist on a continuum of energy efficiency that include small-engine turbos, vehicles that employ weight reduction, and vehicles that use alternative, but still taxed fuels, such as diesel. The imposition of the $75 fee on gas-only hybrid-electric vehicles is entirely disparate, relative to the difference in efficiency classification, as to be wholly arbitrary both for vehicles generally considered hybrid-electric, and any other efficient vehicle.

"Equal protection requires that classification rest on real and not feigned differences, that the distinction have some relevance to the purpose for which the classification is made, and that the different treatment be not so disparate, relative to the difference in classification, as to be wholly arbitrary."

There appears to be no motor vehicle taxation exemption under the "Equal Protection Clause" for this type of arbitrarily targeted fee. On all points, the gas-only hybrid-electric vehicle fee is inappropriate, unfair, and probably illegal.

Again, as a member of the gas-only hybrid-electric community, and an affected Wisconsin citizen, I request that you, as governor, instruct the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WI DOT) to stop collecting the $75 hybrid-electric vehicle fee pending challenges to its implementation.

Sincerely,
---

B

Last edited by bluesight; 09-27-2019 at 05:19 PM..