View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #7145 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Agreed, and I anticipate an increasing share of non-hydrocarbon based energy in the future, but we're not there yet, and not even close.

I don't know what the difference between exemption and pass is, especially given that no nation has a binding agreement. Perhaps I misunderstand, that the IPCC has recommended binding agreements and also to grant exemptions to nations not meeting a certain level of per capita wealth parity.

Reading between the lines, it sounds more like a wealth redistribution scheme than a save the world scheme. The climate doesn't care if the emitters are 1st world or not.
Without a specific reference,I've got to presume that there is a general accounting procedure with which they use to ascertain 'when' a signatory has reached the threshold for 'developed.' To be a member,they may have to submit to some form of oversight or monitoring for compliance.Just a guess.
I know two people who go to China for training.Some of their universities and laboratory facilities are better than anything the US or Europe has to offer.They are really cranking out solar,wind,grid-scale power storage,and electric vehicles.Along with the Three-Gorges Dam project,they'll be poised to overtake all the developed nations.They've opened their first foreign military base and they've got over 2-million in uniform.Well on their way to super-power status.