View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #7188 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
It is going to be very hard, but we have NO CHOICE - if we are acting ethically.

You see, we are doing other terrible things, in addition to ruining the climate. We are also ruining the soil - dumping artificial fertilizers (made from natural gas) on the soil KILLS the life than made the soil. Even if we weren't facing a climate crisis - we would be facing a collapse of our factory farming.

But, of course we are facing a dire climate crisis - that is itself adding a huge pressure on our food supply. And we are poisoning our world, and killing off the pollinators. We have lost about 30% of all birds - who eat insects. We have lost about 70% of all the flying insects. We have lost about 50% of the plankton. We are losing fishing grounds.

We have dumped plastic everywhere. It is in the food chain.

We are overpumping aquifers. We are exhausting phosphorus mines.

We can expect A BILLION people to be displaced by climate effects in this century.
All of those things have more to do with human population size than anything else. It seems a decline in our numbers is the inevitable solution to these problems, which I expect will happen mostly non-violently due to adoption of various technologies. Not in 10 years though. It will be a couple hundred years before population dwindles to say, half of current.

Based on nothing but speculation, I expect population to peak in 40 years.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!