View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
We know your disdain for medicine, and I'm sympathetic considering you only get about 2 questions deep on a subject before the top experts in the world begin saying they have no clue how things work. Brain understanding is even worse than other anatomy. Some drugs can't even answer the first question; how does it reduce x symptom. Ever hear the commercial for Lyrica? They tell people in the commercial itself they have no idea what it's doing. "Fibromyalgia is thought to be caused by overactive nerves, and Lyrica is thought to help calm these nerves." That explanation is as comprehensive as saying the problem is in the brain, and the drug affects brain function in some way or another.

That doesn't mean you give up though, and that doesn't mean what little understanding we have is not valuable. Fluoxetine isn't addictive, and there's no such thing as abusing it. Other drugs you mess with at your peril. I took codeine for 2 months when the nerve in my back was pinched and I had crippling painn that kept me up 22hrs most days, with some days giving me no rest at all. I took the smallest amount I could to minimally function (half a tab) and wouldn't let myself take more until 4hrs had gone past, regardless of how much pain I had 3:30 in. Zero problems stopping cold turkey when I no longer needed them.

There is an element of willpower at play, and the line between the drug having you, and you having the drug gets very blurred in the middle.

Medicine is a valid scientific field regardless of how early we are in understanding it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-01-2019 at 07:06 PM..