View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
#SaveTheManuals
EcoModding Lurker

ATOYOTA - '20 Toyota Corolla SE
90 day: 37.91 mpg (US)
2nd tank, 40.5 MPG

I had occasion to fill up the tank for the 2nd time today. Trip computer indicated 41.0 MPG, and by my math it came out to 40.4866. The trip computer was about 1.3% optimistic. I'm not going to complain about that at all.

For more reliable calculations I'm letting the auto-filler handle shutoff when it wants to, then holding the handle on low until I see gas coming up to the opening of the tank. That way "full" means full. Hopefully that's not too full

Just as in life, the journey on this last tank of gas wasn't always ideal. In addition to the slow-and-go/stop-and-go trip to Boston I mentioned earlier, I had a string of bad luck in town today with traffic lights, pedestrians, large trucks pulling out in front of me, and rain (which seemed to have a large impact on the rolling resistance). Plus my wife put about 1/5 the miles on this tank, and who knows what's happening to the MPG when she drives. But we went from 36.xx to 40.5 between the 1st and 2nd tank, so I'm going to look on the bright side of life.

Plus, on the way home from the gas station I averaged a cool 45.3 MPG, which is 41% above the EPA rating of 32 MPG

The Following User Says Thank You to #SaveTheManuals For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (10-02-2019)