View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
#SaveTheManuals
EcoModding Lurker

ATOYOTA - '20 Toyota Corolla SE
90 day: 37.91 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
2000 RPM should be well above lugging. It may not be efficient and smooth acceleration, but it ain't lugging.
You're right -- it's not really lugging. I left a lot of RPM wiggle room with "almost on the verge of lugging". I guess what I meant was that the car's acceleration was noticeably less enthusiastic in 4th gear around 2,000 RPM than in 3rd or lower, with about the same amount of throttle.

Good point about a ScanGauge. Something like that will at least get me in the right ballpark for load; could be that I'm over- or under-shooting the intended load.

Of course I'll still be flying blind without the BSFC map, unless the torque/RPM/MPG map published by Toyota is (accurate and) more or less equivalent. In that case, per my annotations below, it sure looks like the most efficient region is between 2,200 - 3,100 RPM, with load between ~76% - ~95%. The sweet spot is 2,700 RPM at 88% load:

76% - 95% load is higher than I expected based on the general consensus around the forums, but I suppose there are always outliers. At some point I'd like to verify or debunk whether I can really drive my car around at 90% load for peak efficiency. That seems a little like having my cake and eating it too. Therefore I'm skeptical of this chart.

Quote:
In regards to your name, you should be happy to hear that I have taught eighteen people to drive stick so far. Some of which actively expressed interest in getting a manual car.
nice work! My kids are just a few years away from learning to drive, and I look forward to teaching them how to drive stick on the Corolla.