View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I once coasted into a gas station off the highway in my first car, a 1987 Honda Prelude Si with 600.2 miles on my trip meter.

It had a 15.9 gallon tank.

That is 37.75 MPG, although I remember hitting 40, just not that trip.

fueleconomy.gov rates it 22/29.

I drove to the valley this past weekend and left with just under a quarter tank.

Most gas stations were around $3 a gallon! The lowest price was Sam's Club at $2.849, but I am a Costco man, and their best price was $2.929. I am not sure about over the weekend, but right now the lowest price in Show Low is $2.649, so I was not eager to pay significantly more.

I had almost a quarter tank and Google Maps said that Speedway gas station in Payson, about halfway home, was $2.579, and only 67 miles away.

It was uphill, but I had this!

However, it always seems like as soon as I accept driving directions, there is some spatial anomaly separating us further.

It immediately changed to 83 miles.

Uh yeah, I... probably... have this!

Everything seemed fine until I was at least 25 miles away. I went from two bars to empty going up one hill. I expected it to go back up when I descended, but it didn't, so I was on the low end of empty when I filled up. I knew that I had been lower on the gas gauge, so I should have been fine, but why risk it?

The next-cheapest station was 12¢ more and when I finally got to a pump (it was busy!) I saw a bunch of signs saying that you would save 10¢ by joining their free club. I signed up right there! I do not know what the actual costs are, but I have only received one e-mail since confirming.

So, I would have needed to go out of my way to find $2.959 gas, but I just drove for another hour and a half, joined a club, and bought gas for $2.479. The cheapest station here in-town is a Speedway, so I guess that I will be going there instead of somewhere the same price before discount.

In theory I was good for another fifty miles, I only put in 15.619 gallons. My tank is rated for 17.1.