View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #50 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
@ Hersbird. My old 2003 TDI is still driving around with over 400,000 miles. I sold it at 240,000 miles. I had the intake cleaned at 200K miles when the timing belt was done but it didn't drive any different after. EGR is required to meet even 20 year old emission standards.

@Piotrsko: Why do you want a regen light? It doesn't matter if you interrupt a regen cycle, it will just restart the next time the car comes up to operating temperature. You don't have to idle it and let it finish. Turn it off and the car will run the fan until things are cooled down. Save fuel by not idling.

There actually is a warning light if the regen can't be interrupted and must be completed.

Before and after testing shows small losses in HP and Torque after the fix. This one is 2.3 Hp and 8.3 lb-ft of torque. They also show faster 0-60 runs AFTER the fix because the DSG holds gears longer.

https://www.cars.com/articles/we-tes...1420699480602/

The only drivibility "issue" I have is that my car has too much power at 2,000 RPM. It lags a bit off idle and then the turbo hits and the wheels spin if I'm not careful. I drive the 2015 at it was a bit smoother but the tiny annoyance wasn't worth $3,000 and I didn't want to deal with DEF.

Here is the thing. Driving a "fixed" TDI is totally voluntary. Original owners could sell back their cars at a huge premium. Owners like me know exactly what we were buying when we bought it. It isn't like this was forced on anyone.
Well the Cummins didn't get an egr until around 2006 and if they didnt go 400,000 miles the owners would think they got a lemon as over a million miles on the block, bearings, heads, rings, valves, was the norm not the exception.

You want a regen light because it doesn't happen very often you should let it finish. It might be 9 minutes into a 10 min event and it will have to start completely over the next time. Maybe your commute is just timed so you end up fouling the regen day after day. Like you said sooner or later it does give you a light but then it's a problem and in the meantime you might have been killing your MPG day after day with partial attempted regens.

On my CEL it turns out I need a whole new #5 injector, which the dealer didnt have in stock, and it's covered under the warranty. That warranty is the only reason the the original or fixed tune will stay. Even my problematic adblue heater and sensors are covered now for 4 years when original owners were made to pay for repairs outside of the original warranty as somehow that wasn't considered an emissions component. Now DEF "and related components" is listed in the supplemental warranty.