View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #371 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Nobody seemed to mind Permalink #363, so here's another aerodynamic oddity or two that are airplanes. First, One of my favorites, the B-36 Peacemaker, six turning and four burning but it never expended ordinance in anger.

I snagged this out of a Youtube video. Cool, Huh? Don't tell anyone. [click the bar]

That nacelle has the two-bank radial behind a firewall with the turbos, intercoolers and plumbing ahead of it. Six separate intakes — air cooling, oil cooling, 2x turbo and 2x intercooler.

Then there's my new favorite airliner that never made prototype, let alone production; the Douglas DC-8. No, not that DC-8 the other one.

It's like a mini-B-36 with clean wings. The propshaft ran the length of the passenger compartment — a front engine rear driver like an Aircobra in reverse. Anyway cockpit kinda like a Ryan Navion.

Bonus what appears to be a prototype of the Davis three-wheeler.
Quote:
Davis operated in a 57,000 sq. ft. former aircraft assembly building in Van Nuys, where a prototype three-wheeler named "Baby" was built. Baby was powered by a 47 hp Hercules 4-cylinder engine coupled to a Borg-Warner 3-speed transmission and Spicer rear end. Baby was unique in that it featured four-across seating. It was planned that production, beginning in 1948, would start at a minimum of 50 cars a day later increasing to 1000. A second prototype called "Delta" was built, and a third prototype, the model 482, was completed later. The third model, the "Divan", established standards for the production Davis cars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis_Motorcar_Company