View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #7320 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I had "Blue Planet 2" on in the background last night, and Attenborough mentioned that a 2C increase in ocean temperature, even just momentarily, can cause coral to die. My immediate thought was that means somewhere else temperatures have just warmed to the right temperature for coral to begin growing. Then there's the other factor, that ocean depth has to be just right for coral to grow, so that rising depth makes certain areas unsuitable for coral growth... again, that just means some other area is now made suitable for coral growth.

Pointing out changes in environment isn't a compelling argument. A compelling argument shows that something is lost and not gained back anywhere else.

As I always point out, our direct actions always cause way more disruption than indirect consequences. For instance, oceans fish populations might be affected by temperature changes, but overfishing is an even more severe problem.
The Great Barrier Reef is dying, and it is very likely going away.

It is more than just temperature - it is also increased acidity; which makes it harder and harder for animals with shells to actually form them.

The ocean has been absorbing most of the carbon dioxide, and most of the heat. This inevitably means that it will release that carbon dioxide back out into the air - colder water can absorb more gases than warmer water.

Ocean water already has less oxygen in solution. As it warms, it will lose more and more - so sea animals will die.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-16-2019), niky (10-10-2019), redpoint5 (10-07-2019)