View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Yes, lowest RPM at wide open throttle is most efficient for acceleration too, but for most people that is just dogged slow, and only offers a slight efficiency advantage to peak BSFC acceleration. I tend to view the peak BSFC on my Insight (~2000 RPM) as the RPM I try not to exceed while accelerating. It's hard when the car has only 66 hp factory, but the mpgs are there. I surmise it would be the same with your Corolla, except that acceleration would be a bit faster due to your greater power. But for those who want to drive "normally" without nearly lugging the engine, peak BSFC is a pretty good compromise.

Peak BSFC also only works if you are at wide open throttle before enrichment. Usually this is around 75%-90% load, depending on the car. Anything past 90% and most cars start richening the fuel mixture, which reduces mpgs. A Scangauge is a great tool to have, but a bit pricey. The Torque Lite app (free) and a cheap bluetooth OBDII dongle ($10-$25) can show load and other parameters. The only downside to Torque is very inaccurate fuel economy readings compared to a Scangauge, but that doesn't matter since the Corolla already has fuel economy instrumentation.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
#SaveTheManuals (10-10-2019), MetroMPG (10-10-2019)