View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
bluesight
Hybrider

If you want to get an "early" start on this, here's what I recommend in contesting the fee for G1 Insights using the MV1020 "Registration Correction Request" form:
----
Please correct my vehicle registration to remove the hybrid-electric vehicle registration fee of $75. This XXXX (year) Honda Insight is a mild-hybrid vehicle equivalent to a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco that is exempt from the $75 fee. This XXXX Honda Insight is, therefore, also exempt from the $75 fee based on these comparative specifications taken from descriptions of the two vehicles:

Malibu Eco: 15-kW motor-generator
Honda Insight: The electric motor on the Insight is rated at 10 kilowatts
Malibu Eco: Electric motor cannot power the car by itself
Honda Insight: Electric motor cannot power the car by itself; the gas engine must be running for the car to move
Malibu Eco : Lithium-ion battery provides electrical boost in various driving scenarios
Honda Insight: Electric Motor assists gasoline engine for extra power while the car is accelerating or climbing a hill
Malibu Eco: Automatic (electric motor) smooth engine start-stop functionality
Honda Insight: Electric Motor Starts the engine
Malibu Eco: Regenerative braking, which provides up to 15 kW of electricity to charge the battery
Honda Insight: Motor acts as a generator and recharges the batteries using a process called regenerative braking
Malibu Eco: 0.5 kWh, 115V lithium-ion battery
Honda Insight: 0.9 kWh, 144V NiMH battery
Malibu Eco: 2.4L Ecotec direct-injection four-cylinder engine rated at an estimated 180 hp
Honda Insight: 1.0-liter, three-cylinder that produces 67 horsepower
Malibu Eco: Weighs about 3700lb
Honda Insight: The Insight weighs less than 1,900 pounds

The primary difference between these two vehicles is the curb weight and the size of the gasoline engine. These distinctions are not relevant to the hybrid classification.

----

Please do it! When I get more information and potentially better arguments, I'll put up an additional challenge statement. Submitting multiple challenges, one after the other, I consider a good thing!

Good luck...

B