View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
I almost never use the backup cameras on the cars I drive that happen to have them. But it's a nice feature for newer drivers and those who aren't as confident backing up. Backup cameras are great for hooking up trailers and backing up with trailers, but they should never replace lookout out the window and seeing what is actually out there. The same goes with rearview camera "mirrors". My minimized side mirror setup poses no safety risks because I actively check over my shoulder before changing lanes. Mirrors and cameras don't increase safety if a vehicle operator relies solely on them and not on common sense.

With that being said, rearview cameras would be nice for multiple reasons, mainly because cameras have the potential to allow for a greater field of vision than that provided by a mirror. Images could be rendered for more realistic display, eliminating the need for "objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

Honda's Lane Watch system honestly could replace side mirrors. It's probably one of the best systems out there. The car length markers on the display give a very concrete image of where objects are that a mirror doesn't provide. A "legal" implementation of this as a side mirror replacement could be screens in the doors, such as the ones shown in one of the pictures in the linked article, displaying the same rearward view to the driver.

Side mirrors existed for a time when computers and cameras did not exist. Now that we have this technology, it's time to move on. Heck, a system could be designed to allow the user to even zoom in/out on their side cameras! Find me a mirror that can do that.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)