View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

My only problem with all the gadgets that the engineers can dream up is the COST, both at the original purchase and when repairing/replacing them.

Example: adding rear-view mirrors on a car might cost $10 at the factory, and they last the life of the car. What about the cameras and their screens?

Heck, I still lament the fact that I cannot buy wind-up windows anymore, especially when one or more of the powered ones fail to work. And are they really better except for the minor inconvenience of not having to use a muscle or two to wind up manual windows? What happens if/when you roll the car into a lake with all the windows up and the electric system shorted out and you can't open the doors? Which system is really better then: manual or powered?

In any case, I don't mind other folks using all the new gadgets they can afford or at least get a loan for. They certainly should be allowed if for nothing else than the advancement of science and boosting manufacturing activity and giving folks jobs. But I do mind when I HAVE to buy them because no cars are made without them.

Bah, Humbug. :-/