View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #381 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
In the late 70’s and early 80’s saw development of wheeled Army land vehicle engines that were multi-fuel. Could be moved from one theater to another more easily. Could use that theaters less desirable fuel. Chicken & Egg problem. These were modified diesels.
I'm aware of multifuel engines in the Deuce and a Half. The only other multifuel engines I'm aware are those Elko Multifuel, meant for light-duty vehicles and which were tested even in Brazil in the '80s and early '90s. I recently had a talk about the Elko Multifuel engine with an Argentinian who owns a VW Transporter T4 with the IDI 2.4L 5-cyl Diesel, and it got me thinking about how those older hot-bulb engines widely used for agricultural machinery and stationary devices were nearly unbeatable as a multifuel engine, even though the pre-chambers in a (relatively) modern IDI bore some resemblance to the vaporizing bulb of the hot-bulb engines.

Back on topic: considering how smaller a modern diesel rated at a given power is compared to what was available some 20 years ago, and the smaller packaging enabling the fitment on vehicles with a smaller frontal area, there might be some aerodynamic benefit to be accounted...