View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
stcyrwm
EcoModding Lurker

I am going to try asking this a different way.

From what I have learned about boattail tapers it seems they could be as minimal as 5 degrees (based on bus diagrams that are from Hucho I think) and according to Hucho/Buchheim & Mair shouldn't ever go steeper than 22-23 degrees (that is via Aerohead).

Orbywan in his "Aero RV" thread that I referenced earlier in this thread seemed to get pretty good results from a taper on his boattail even though it was over the recommended 23 degrees max.

Assuming I am on the right track here I am trying to figure out which would be the best taper if I did something similar to orbywan's boattail.

Here are the 2 extremes that I am looking at (this is view from the rear of bus/camper):

Option A is with a 5 degree taper and is more inline with the aerodynamic template.

Option B is with the max taper recommended by Hucho/Buchheim and Mair.

Obviously I could also do anything in between.

- So do I stay with the 5 degree taper that is closer to the aerodynamic template and go with option A?
- Do I go with the max recommended degree taper and go with option B, because at least in that case I have orbywan's experince to fall back on?
- Or do something else???

Thanks for any help,
Bill