View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
dude7691
EcoModding Lurker

Kenny - '09 Kia Rio 1 GS
Pulse and glide technique, does it really work?

Hi guys first off I love driving hard on occasion but it's important to me to hypermile 99% of the time being young I need to save money whenever I can so just wanted to check something out

I've heard of the pulse and glide technique which sounds promising going from 50-60mph then coasting back to 50 in neutral and repeating. I wouldn't turn the engine off as that seems far too dangerous. I'm just curious as to whether this would potentially damage the gearbox, clutch or engine over time? The last thing I want is to be saving money on fuel then have a ruined car �� I've managed to get 44.5mpg out of a 1.4 Kia Rio quoted 45.4mpg combined but it is 10yrs old now. When I got the car it took some redex to get it from 35 up to 45. That's going 55mph everywhere with a lot of town driving and it sits at 2600RPM @55. I've done a lot of hypermiling in the past and know some advanced stuff but only heard about this today. This method makes sense as less mechanical friction = better efficiency. just wondering if it's worth trying this technique thank you