View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
dude7691
EcoModding Lurker

Kenny - '09 Kia Rio 1 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You have to turn the key to off for a couple seconds to kill the engine, which isn't safe because the steering lock can engage. Then you have to put the key back to run so that it's ready to start once you let out the clutch again.

My concern with wear would be syncros when constantly going from N and back into gear, although I'm not sure if syncros are involved in that or not. Either way, none of the hassle seems worth it to me unless it was a very long engine off coast; like a minute or more.

Cars like the Prius essentially capture most of the advantage of pulse and glide by keeping the engine at an optimal load, and killing it entirely when power requirements are low. After having the Prius, I've got almost no interest in EOC or P&G.
Well it's literally impossible to be safe when turning the key to off at night because the lights turn off, and as much as I'm for hypermiling; freaking out other motorists isn't my goal at all. If the police passed me they'd be less than impressed.

I think I'm gonna try experimenting with neutral on longer hills though to be honest as the speed difference is massive with my car. If I stay in 5th on some hills because of my higher RPM's there's more friction I can stay the same speed but if I go into N I can be like 10mph faster than I would be if I was in gear. Surely idling uses such a small amount of fuel over that 20 seconds that it's in N but that extra 10mph gain would give me a significant saving by giving me an extra few hundred meters before having to reapply the throttle.

Guess it's just a matter of seeing what happens. Either way as long as I'm getting 45mpg I'm happy, and I got that having passengers in the car almost every day and they always had the windows down because I was too embarassed to ask them to put them up to save fuel Getting close to the NEDC rating is impossible for your average driver so I'm still feeling pretty good. Also shoutout to Redex as it increased my MPG by 25% on a 100k mile car so it's not just snake oil for everyone.