View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
dude7691
EcoModding Lurker

Kenny - '09 Kia Rio 1 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Good move- you've got to be safe. No sense saving some gas if it kills you.

Every car and every road is different. Learn your car on your roads, and do your learning when it's safe. Night and the dead of winter aren't the best times for hypermiling.
Totally agree, it's literally pennies I'm talking at this point and I think the mental stress of being unsafe probably burns more calories, thus requiring more food for me and more spending if we're being really stupidly in detail about it

The only thing I do wonder is whether my car is more efficient at 50mph or 55mph. Being a petrol with optimum torque around 4700RPM thus I'd assume 55mph is better as the air resistance isn't much more but I tend to just sit at 52-53mph to get the best of both. With coasting efficiently though I reckon near 50mpg is in reach, although if not doesn't matter too much. My budget says my car does 40mpg, so every penny I save above that is just a bonus.

Note: The goal is to save on the overall running cost on my vehicle. If I save £50 in a year that's great but a new set of synchros is hundreds, and I've just robbed myself of money for no benefit.