View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #300 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
XFE (FY1) trans swap saga!

So, my transmission swap saga has begun with a broken transmission! I get another transmission and go to swap it in, finding numerous problems along the way. First, the front transmission mount is different between the M86 and the FY1 transmissions. However, Getrag left the casting nub in place where the mounting hole was for the M86 transmission, and two of the other bolt holes lined up. Solution- drill and tap the transmission case for a similar sized bolt (3/8” instead of M10 but it’s a minor difference). (pic included)

Second problem was that the slave cylinder on the M86 transmission(which mated up with the stock clutch line) was bad, so we used the slave cylinder from the FY1 transmission, but it didn’t mate up with the stock clutch line, the nipple on the end was different. Solution- cut off the stock M86 clutch line nipple and heat the nylon line with a heat gun, press the cut off FY1 clutch line nipple into the line, no leaks and it mated up perfectly with the FY1 slave cylinder, that appeared new.

Third problem was that the transmission was supplied with a crusty looking roll pin in the linkage, that I had no idea the lifespan of. Solution- cut out the roll pin with the micro Dremel and replace it with a further hardened version of the Clevis pin that was in my shifter. It was actually a bit larger in diameter, now an interference fit which required a hammer and grease to install. The result is shift action that’s firm and super precise with no slop whatsoever, a pin that should never break no matter what I do to it, and a spare pin to keep in the glove box just in case I was wrong.

We also installed my OTTP control arm bushings, as all of the ones on the car were wasted, possibly damaged from the 30mph driveline lock that occurred when the previous transmission decided to grenade itself. Now all the control arm bushings are solid pieces, with no flex whatsoever. More linear and precise suspension travel, yadda yadda...

We filled the transmission with fluid and bled the clutch, buttoned everything together, fired the engine, everything was looking good. Took it for a test drive, car handled great (though alignment was noticeably off), transmission shifted great, I was happy and all was going well...

Until I quickly discovered the final problem, which isn’t solvable yet. I got onto the throttle coming out of a tight curve, and found some NASTY clutch slip. Apparently, my pressure plate had worn at a similar rate as the original slave cylinder (which was bad), and when paired with a new, firmer slave cylinder, doesn’t provide full and complete clutch engagement. It’s good enough to slowly move the car on flat ground, but anything over about 22% throttle angle makes it slip badly. At one point I had it up near the limiter in 5th going 55mph, just by stomping the accelerator. We reused the original clutch and pressure plate for no other reason than I couldn’t afford to swing the cost of the replacement and to pay for all the labor too. I figured that if it hadn’t begun slipping I still had some life left. Wrong again! Now the mad scientist and I have to rip it all back apart and replace the clutch that I fried... (vague Vin Diesel reference)

Anyway, tune in next week for the next episode of “will this thing ever drive again?”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49EFF8FC-AEAB-48DB-B33D-59D2825E5EC1.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	27009  

My last Ecotec project...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 19bonestock88 For This Useful Post:
Drifter (05-16-2022), Joggernot (10-19-2019), me and my metro (10-22-2019), roosterk0031 (10-18-2019)