View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
My only problem with all the gadgets that the engineers can dream up is the COST, both at the original purchase and when repairing/replacing them.

Example: adding rear-view mirrors on a car might cost $10 at the factory, and they last the life of the car. What about the cameras and their screens?

Heck, I still lament the fact that I cannot buy wind-up windows anymore, especially when one or more of the powered ones fail to work. And are they really better except for the minor inconvenience of not having to use a muscle or two to wind up manual windows? What happens if/when you roll the car into a lake with all the windows up and the electric system shorted out and you can't open the doors? Which system is really better then: manual or powered?
My guess is cameras can beat the cost of motorized mirrors, and I bet manufacturers aren't paying much more than $10 for backup cameras now. You can purchase (low quality) backup cameras on Ebay for $3.50 shipped to your door.

I've had many broken side mirrors over the years on many different vehicles. Often the motors that adjust them stop working. With cameras, there are no motors and nothing to adjust. That will be safer for drivers since you never need to adjust them, and there are no blind spots.

Regarding manual vs power windows... I've had several manual windows break, but have never had an issue with a power window. I know, it's anecdotal, but at least with power windows the forces exerted on the system are known, so engineers don't have to design for apes.

About the only feature I've never understood is "hill hold". That's called the brake, and your foot should be on it whenever you don't intend to be moving. I've never had a problem holding a hill unless it was covered in ice and I used momentum to get up it.

Regarding power windows in a lake, they won't work but not because of an electrical short (fresh water is not very conductive), but for the same reason the mechanical one won't; water pressure pushing the glass against the seal so hard that the window won't budge.

Best strategy is to wait for the vehicle to fill entirely, then open the door. Keeping calm enough to do this will be impossible for most people.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-18-2019 at 01:46 PM..