View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
In terms of autos... my 1989 auto actually does care about the TC. When slowing down, it does fuel cut above 80km/h, but once the torque convertor lockup deactivates, it instantly starts using the same amount of fuel per engine cycle as it would at idle - which means it is better to put the transmission into neutral - so at least it 'idles' more slowly
Same goes for my 1989 auto. If Im going down a long steep hill in gear with foot off the gas, itll cut fuel after a few seconds, but then bring back the fuel for a few seconds, keep doing that till the car quits gaining speed. If I pop it into N then the idle speed will drop and itll pick up a lot of speed. But I dont like how it reengages when I shift back into D, I feel like Im hurting the trans, so I avoid doing that. But one thing I just figured out last night, is if I hold the throttle in just the right spot on a long downhill, itll keep the TCC locked but cut the fuel. The fuel will stay cut all the way to the bottom of the hill and Ill maintain speed. And no funny actions at the end since I dont have to shift back into D. Something I have thought about is a momentary switch to cut the fuel. Then with the fuel cut, the throttle can be really opened up, keeping the TCC locked and reducing restriction at the intake, maybe getting you farther down the road.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver