View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I kind of like it but I'm not really on board. If I'm going to convert to an EV, I want it to look the part. A motor that looks nothing like the old 22R is fine by me. If it isn't saddled with silly cladding, maybe we can package the hardware to fit a couple of battery modules up front with the motor, or make all the various components more easily serviceable.

Another EV conversion doohickey that recently broke out was this:

https://jalopnik.com/finally-an-elec...our-1839168140

Its big advantage is that it completely displaces an entire axle, and according to what I'm reading could be adapted to either front or rear drive (or if you're just that guy, both). Again, power output is modest but sufficient for a lot of older, lower powered applications. Their example is a classic Mini but I think it would rock under the rear of, for instance, a 30-year-old compact pickup.
Similar to this line of thinking: I'd like to have something I could drop in my old F150 in place of the 302, still utilize my manual transmission and 4WD driveline, but small enough to have the batteries and possibly a small gas generator (for long trips) up front as well.

My primary usage for the pickup are snow days, a 60 mile round trip to get lumber and materials at Menards, and 1-2 500 mile round trips to church camp, pulling a camper. For that camper trip I'd probably have to run the generator for most of the trip, but figuring in all the fuel I'd save in the other usages it would probably be alright.