View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
Similar to this line of thinking: I'd like to have something I could drop in my old F150 in place of the 302, still utilize my manual transmission and 4WD driveline, but small enough to have the batteries and possibly a small gas generator (for long trips) up front as well.

My primary usage for the pickup are snow days, a 60 mile round trip to get lumber and materials at Menards, and 1-2 500 mile round trips to church camp, pulling a camper. For that camper trip I'd probably have to run the generator for most of the trip, but figuring in all the fuel I'd save in the other usages it would probably be alright.
If a bolt-in kit for an F-150 were available, I think it would sell quite well. And I would agree with @freebeard on that part fitting into the transmission tunnel. Batteries low in the front would be OK, but I would not want that weight higher up ... 4x4 tip too easy as it is!

As for accessories on the crate motor ... would you want to keep the belt-drive for your power steering, power brakes? And that does not deal with heat for keeping the windows defrosted/defogged.

If you want it to still look like a gasser under the hood, I don't think the batteries will fit there. Under the bed is large, well-protected, and there are a number of holes in the frame that could be used as-is. Electrical cables from the rear to the front are easy. A rigid plastic conduit (orange) with a metal rock shield should be easy to route in the transmission tunnel.

When getting it inspected as read-worthy, you'd maybe want to not mention the generator. Off-the-shelf generators do not need to meet vehicle emissions. Unless you build your own from a motorcycle engine or a small diesel ...