View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #7652 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
why assume

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You've explained exactly how all bureaucracy works; that special interests end up being served instead of the people because those in authority act in their own self-interest rather than the people they ostensibly serve. It's precisely why a wise king is an unrealistic ideal.

Instead of dictating down to the mm of what specific material must be in my home; which itself is specified to certain dimensions... the goal of reduced fossil fuel consumption can be accomplished more efficiently by simply increasing the cost of fossil fuels (taxation). Then homeowners decide how best they will save money by building efficiently.

Why assume bureaucrats can come up with better solutions to a problem than individuals who know exactly what challenges they face for their individual problems?
Bureaucrats would have easy access to National labs.The national labs have access to engineers.The engineers know a lot about efficiency.The codes would reflect good engineering practice.Especially thermodynamics.It's impossible to optimize the performance of a home without strict attention to thermodynamics.That's where the savings are.
The federal government already has national building,electrical,and plumbing codes.They're regularly updated anyway.We're just talking about engineering for better efficiency.
I stumble at the notion that individuals know exactly what challenges they face.
I'd outlaw the 'incandescent light bulb of homes',and mandate the 'LED version.'
We'd go from 5% efficiency,to 40% efficiency.That's the quickest way to a tax-free pay raise and improved standard of living.At no cost.Remember,the object is getting to zero-carbon.That doesn't happen with a light bulb and weather strip.