View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
If a bolt-in kit for an F-150 were available, I think it would sell quite well. And I would agree with @freebeard on that part fitting into the transmission tunnel. Batteries low in the front would be OK, but I would not want that weight higher up ... 4x4 tip too easy as it is!

As for accessories on the crate motor ... would you want to keep the belt-drive for your power steering, power brakes? And that does not deal with heat for keeping the windows defrosted/defogged.

If you want it to still look like a gasser under the hood, I don't think the batteries will fit there. Under the bed is large, well-protected, and there are a number of holes in the frame that could be used as-is. Electrical cables from the rear to the front are easy. A rigid plastic conduit (orange) with a metal rock shield should be easy to route in the transmission tunnel.

When getting it inspected as read-worthy, you'd maybe want to not mention the generator. Off-the-shelf generators do not need to meet vehicle emissions. Unless you build your own from a motorcycle engine or a small diesel ...
I would probably figure out a way to have electric power steering, possibly as simple as having a hydraulic pump with a pressure reservoir, so that when I need to steer the pressure is there, and the pump can kick back in and re-pressurize as needed.

Power brakes would be deleted, they are entirely unnecessary, same story with air conditioning.

Thinking about your response I would likely removed the rear fuel tank and locate the batteries back there, or maybe the front fuel tank if the weight distribution would work better that way.

I don't really care about if it still looks like a gasser, and there's no inspections in North Dakota, so I can run whatever I want under the hood.