View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
nemo
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
I’m four years into my current battery for the 06’ V6 Accord living in Hotlanta! It seems close to end of life, but I just did a little tune up on it, which should help extend useful life. Here is my engine blanket setup, it helps shield the battery from the heat. Next battery I’m going to shim with foam to brace it from vibration as well. If I can find some cell covers with remote gas venting, that would be a further bonus. The positive cable frequently grows some corrosion.

Thanks for reminding me! I kept meaning to do this. Just checked and the first cell closest to the positive terminal was just high enough to keep the plates covered, but all other cells appeared to have the correct level. I also discovered that my negative cable was loose. The car was taking longer to start than usual, this little tune up should really help. Hoping for 5 years!
The last batteries in my personal cars have lasted 5 years. One would have gone longer if not for the breaking the terminal when removing the clamp to clean. I also check that the plates are covered. All the early failures have been in company vehicles.