View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #7732 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
He plagerized fake science,without fact-checking, lying under oath, during testimony before Congress.I'm glad he's dead.
Lying requires 2 things; the facts to be incorrect, and the intention to mislead. Do you think Crichton's intention was to mislead? If so, what do you posit as a motive considering he was already a very wealthy person independent of any oil ties, or any other apparent interests that would motivate deception?

Occam's Razor suggests that the testimony given was given in good faith, since any other conclusion requires extra theories as to why he would mislead.

It wasn't Crichton's idea to testify before congress, but was instead asked by politicians to do so. If any mistake was made, it was having a non-climate scientist appear to testify. If I were brought before congress to testify, I'd give my understanding of things from my perspective too.

So, it seems unlikely that Crichton's intention was to mislead, which still leaves the question of the facts. I'd ask what specifically did he state as fact that has been proven to be incorrect? If you're going to call someone a liar, it's on you to be specific about what the lie was, or we can ignore the accusation and be suspect of any future accusations.

Ultimately, Crichton wasn't even accused of lying under oath, and no charges were ever leveled against him. Googling the subject returns zero results.

Should we apply the same rules of condemnation to Gore for the many untruths told in "An Inconvenient Truth"? He gave specific facts and timelines which we now know to be false. False prophecy if you will.

BTW- I'm not willing to call Gore a liar and I wouldn't delight in his demise. Being wrong isn't sufficient justification for hatred. Nothing is.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-30-2019)