View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #153 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
If you're going to cite fuel, you might as well count depreciation as a "cost" too.

They're all real costs, but looking at whether or not you need to own car or truck shouldn't be based on "how much time do I spend using it?" but instead "do I need to own it?"

If you need to own it, then it doesn't matter that you only use it twice a week. If you can do without that twice weekly drive to a place half an hour away, or can find a way to do it without driving yourself, then it's a different question.

At a bare minimum, I may spend five and a half hours a week in my car. To me, that doesn't make my car 96.73% useless. To me it means that at a bare minimum, I have to use it 6 out of 7 days, or 85.71% of the time.

You use yours 2 days a week, or 28.57% of the time. If you don't really need to run that errand, or don't need to do it so often, or don't need to drive yourself, then you need to rethink owning it. Unless you're owning a car just to own one, your car ownership expenses are really just expenses of your decisions that call for you to own one. Owning a car isn't an independent expense, it's an independence expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-06-2019)