View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
.... the old tires were 20560R16 and the new ones are 20565R16. So the new tires are several percentage points taller, which made it necessary to adjust my odometer readings....the new taller size will yield a MPG advantage due to a lower engine RPM count per mile.
Since I began driving with used taller & wider tires, I get better MPG, despite the tires having wider tread. It is wonderful that MPG goes up due to fewer rpms, despite heavier, wider tread. Of course, the wider tread & taller tires, now give my small Hyundai Accent, better cornering, a bigger feel on the road & makes it more highway viable. Some of my used tires are 8% to 9% taller & rpms have taken a big whack downward. Your tires appear to have 3% height difference. I might think you could even go with a taller tire yet, maybe another 4%.

One disadvantage of my tires, tho: My tires are too tall now, to give snow chains clearance, & keep them away from mudflaps & wheel wells. For regions needing winter snow chains, smaller tires need to be obtained.

One safety factor for driving used tires: I change my used tires with more tread than I changed my "new" tires, because used tires are 4 times(more?) cheaper than new tires.

Last edited by litesong; 11-05-2019 at 10:52 PM..