View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Oil to coolant heat exchanger

Hey everyone, I recently installed a dual temp gauge in my 2005 Civic to monitor engine and trans oil temps, and I am somewhat surprised to see how long the oil takes to warm up and how cool it stays, at least in cooler weather. But the oil temp in 30 degree weather sometimes won’t get above the low 150’s in cool weather driving down the highway and it takes forever to get there.

So I am looking to install an oil to coolant heat exchanger to warm the oil up quicker and keep it warm in the winter, while also keeping the oil cool in the summer and when under a heavy load. I have a highway about 2-3 miles from my house, and the oil temp is sometimes barely to 100 degrees by the time I get there. I guess I shouldn’t have been flooring it getting onto that highway for the last year with cold oil. Oops!

So I am wondering how big of a heat exchanger I need to warm the oil up with the coolant and to keep the 2 temps similar at all times, say within 10 degrees of eachother. I could either install an OEM style oil cooler between the oil filter and the block, or I could build a custom setup with a larger heat exchanger like this one https://www.amazon.com/Brazed-Exchan...s%2C163&sr=8-1

So I am wondering which you would choose if your goal was to keep the oil and coolant temp within maybe about 10 degrees of eachother the majority of the time. I would prefer to simply install an OEM style oil cooler between the oil filter and block because it’s simpler and much cheaper, but if it is too small to do what I need it to do then I will go with a custom setup.

Thank you very much in advance, I appreciate your help