View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
My power steering pump broke. Time to delete?

Both of my belts keep squealing. I adjust them as necessary and a while later they start up again. I replaced both with Honda parts when I replaced my timing belt last year.

When I replaced the starter I tightened the power steering belt. It didn't squeal the next time that I started the car, but it has squealed every time since.

Tonight I went to tighten it again. Unlike the alternator, you don't loosen the mounting bolt and then adjust a bolt. It has this square hole. You put a 1/2" breaker bar in there and pull up on it until it has the proper tension.

I put a little more force and the top half of the square hole broke off. I sure wish that I knew where that piece of aluminum went!

Most of the power steering pump replacement guides do not say how to tighten the belt. One said to use a pry bar, but did not give any details. At least one said to adjust the bolts that I do not have.

I do not have a pry bar, but I have a crowbar. However, putting it under the pump, across the body, and sitting on the other end (pointed down), it barely tightens anything. Putting the other end behind the pump and prying on it does not do much, either. I can loosen it, but then I cannot get it as tight as it was before.

However, the belt slips right off!

The squeal is gone!

The belt does not go to anything else. Right now there is slightly less load on the engine, but it would be harder to steer than if I did a NoD-style delete.

I do not remember what that means, but without the belt, the pump, hoses, and bracket are dead weight.

I have always wished the Accord got better fuel economy, but I think people thought a power steering delete would accomplish a 0.5 MPG improvement. Yay? I was not eager to drive my Accord without power steering, but right now I do not have a choice. AutoZone has a new one for $133, but it would not get here for five or six days, so I doubt they have one in the entire state.
O'Reilly has one for $122, but they only price-match local stores, which I don't want them to do!

RockAuto has a Lares pump for $86.79, plus $8.99 shipping. Hopefully I could have AutoZone order it and price match for $95.78, but it still does not seem like a good idea.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power steering.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	27155