View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
bluesight
Hybrider

If you are interested in challenging with a G1 Civic Hybrid the same way that it would be done for a G1 Insight, here's a way to write it:
-----

Please correct my vehicle registration to remove the hybrid-electric vehicle registration fee of $75. This XXXX (year) Honda Civic Hybrid is a mild-hybrid vehicle equivalent to a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco that is exempt from the $75 fee. This XXXX Honda Civic Hybrid is, therefore, also exempt from the $75 fee based on these comparative specifications taken from descriptions of the two vehicles:

Malibu Eco: 15-kW motor-generator
Honda G1 Civic Hybrid: The electric motor on the G1 Civic Hybrid is rated at 10 kilowatts
Malibu Eco: Electric motor cannot power the car by itself
Honda G1 Civic Hybrid: Electric motor cannot power the car by itself; the gas engine must be running for the car to move
Malibu Eco : Lithium-ion battery provides electrical boost in various driving scenarios
Honda G1 Civic Hybrid: Electric Motor assists gasoline engine for extra power while the car is accelerating or climbing a hill
Malibu Eco: Automatic (electric motor) smooth engine start-stop functionality
Honda G1 Civic Hybrid: Electric Motor Starts the engine
Malibu Eco: Regenerative braking, which provides up to 15 kW of electricity to charge the battery
Honda G1 Civic Hybrid: Motor acts as a generator and recharges the batteries using a process called regenerative braking
Malibu Eco: 0.5 kWh, 115V lithium-ion battery
Honda G1 Civic Hybrid: 0.9 kWh, 144V NiMH battery
Malibu Eco: 2.4L Ecotec direct-injection four-cylinder engine rated at an estimated 180 hp
Honda G1 Civic Hybrid: 1.3-liter, four-cylinder that produces 85 horsepower
Malibu Eco: Weighs about 3700lb
Honda G1 Civic Hybrid: The G1 Civic Hybrid weighs about 2700 pounds

The primary difference between these two vehicles is the curb weight and the size of the gasoline engine. These distinctions are not relevant to the hybrid classification.

As part of this correction request, I am also submitting the following open record request here and directly to the WI DOT open records custodian:

Dear WI DOT Records Custodian:

Under the Wisconsin Open Records Law, §19.31 - 19.39., I request documents in the form of correspondence with IHS Markit involving my citizen request through this (the) MV1020 "TITLE/REGISTRATION CORRECTION REQUEST" form (I have submitted) for correction of the categorization of my vehicle, VIN #xxxxxxxxxxx, as it relates to the hybrid-electric vehicle surcharge. Records would include WI DOT requests to IHS Markit for clarification of categorization of hybrid-electric vehicles, and responses, both general and detailed, from IHS Markit on acceptance or rejection of the correction, and, in the case of rejection, specific justifications from IHS Markit as to the reason for rejection.

I expect this information can be provided electronically and I request a waiver of all fees in that the disclosure of the requested information is in the public interest and will contribute significantly to the public’s understanding of which vehicles are subject to the hybrid electric vehicle fee. This information is not being sought for commercial purposes.

I would request a response in writing, within the 5 days described by law, if you intend to deny this request. Also, if you expect a significant delay in fulfilling this request, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies or the ability to inspect the requested records.

If you deny any or all of this request, please cite each specific exemption you feel justifies the refusal to release the information and notify me of the appeal procedures available to me under the law.

Thank you for considering my request.

----
B