View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
So, health insurance

I looked up the marketplace early this year and it looked like I could get coverage for something like $55 a month, but open enrollment was closed until November First. I set up a reminder on Google Calendar, but since I could not use it until New Year's Day, I did not say "Shut up and take my money!"

For the six months around Xistday, I went to urgent care five times, which cost $500 - $600 total. The cheaper bronze plan would cost slightly over $2,000 just for coverage--about double what I paid during that period. Add $50 for each doctor visit and $35 for each generic drug, and it creeps higher.

I have not been to urgent care in six months. Not paying for health insurance or urgent care helped me pay off my student loans.

Generally, the more the plan costs, the lower the individual costs and yearly maximum. However, the more expensive silver plan's payments and maximum add up to $11,376 while the cheaper bronze plan would be $10,154.60.

With the discounts, they are probably similar.

Does it make any sense to pay extra for the only insurance that I plan on using?