Thread: Gas prices up
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #37 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit View Post
Who can we blame? My dad was kind of excited about seeing the price almost to two digits ($99.xx) but then when we got the next delivery somehow the company charged us .25 cents more per gallon. There is no way for the gas stations to bring the price down even though the crude price is at a decent spot. Right now, when half of the gas stations in the area are out of fuel, the station is making .09 cents per gallon.

I don't know who exactly is making the money, could you answer that question for me (not being sarcastic)?
I realize the little guys who run the stations only make like a penny per gallon profit. They make a lot more off other things in the store. Im talking about the gasoline companies. Theyre the ones in the chain that buy the crude at $100 a barrel instead of $145 and still sell the gas they make for the same. The Saudis and whoever else we import the crude from have lowered their prices considerably. Its windfall profits for the gasoline companies. And unfortunately thats just the way business works when theres no real competition. Most places today were $4.299 for 87 octane.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver