Thread: Tow bar angle
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Have you checked the alignment on the towed vehicle? I flat tow my old Datsun at highway speeds with no issue, and the tow bar is not perfectly flat.

Also check the condition of the ball joints and tie rods. Any alignment issues will cause problems with stability when towed. The fact that you removed the CV joints may create issues with the front wheel bearings, make sure they are tight - I know Volkswagens need proper axle nut torque for wheel bearing stability.
Thank you for your help. I have not checked the alignment, but I don't remember it pulling while I was driving it. It's been years since that car has been driven though, so I may not be remembering correctly.

Was your tow bar pointing down as much as mine is? There's a big difference between "not perfectly level" and off by like 1 foot. LOL

Also, to be clear, I did NOT leave the axles completely out. What I did is I took apart 2 old axles I had laying around and took the ends off. I then took the axles out of the towed car and stuck those ends into the wheel hubs of the towed car and torqued them down, that way the wheel hubs are still being held together as they normally would be, just without being connected to the transmission. Hopefully that makes sense