View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #109 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Was thinking about it as I drove this morning.

To get a VERY strong (consistent) vacuum signal to the QJet I was running , I used a MOROSO phenolic resin spread bore spacer (1/2”?) plus a chromed heat shield that extended well out from the carb. On MOPAR one is better off with the stock intake. None of that open plenum crap. A VERY long straight air column upwards from the divided 4way plenum floor. (I did change to in an infloor metered EGR Jet intake from 1972; takes away heat spike to lessen pre ignition).

The formula being, “cool fuel + warm air” (105F) it also took an electric fuel pump near the tank and careful routing of new oversized fuel line plus refelective insulation, to, again, maximize possibilities.

I used two fuel pressure regulators, a standard Holley before a CAGLE vacuum-reference regulator. Low vac Signal equaled an open pipe. The fuel not used was run back to the filler neck. Constant flow overall.

I used a later police-spec air cleaner housing with one closed snorkel (except under WOT) and one conventional snorkel plumber both to a full length exhaust manifold heat stove plus to clean air at the wheelwell housing. Only the normal closed snorkel saw underhood air not conditioned.

Atomization is a *****.

I wouldn’t do it that way again. It was successful but a PITA to put together. I had also changed the thermostat from 185F to 195F. Re-timed the motor to use premium fuel. Saw 16-18 consistently at 55-60/mph with an extra passenger (car became super sensitive to weight added). A friends dead stock ‘67 Imperial was a regular in the 16-mpg column at 65-mph. Outweighed my car by a few hundred pounds. (Higher cylinder pressure).

The other MOPAR advantage (extra care in engineering) was that the throttle was controlled by rods and cranks. Not a sloppy GM cable. Ones foot was actively engaged in nuances.

Dual exhaust with crossover and pipes that got smaller towards the rear of the car (longer than a Suburban). Heat retention = pressure. Velocity (thus scavenging). High performance manifolds off a TNT Model. (I don’t hold much hope of your Camaro headers lasting).

Today I’d use a 4-hole TBI and sweat the engine timing details. The total package of fuel delivery and ignition advance (from scratch). Mechanical, Vacuum, etc. starting g with advancing or retarding cam capability. This would be MUCH easier with FI and it’s consistency.

Altitude changes and dry air aren’t your friend in NM. Cold morning and hot afternoon aren’t either.

With 4.10 gears you have more safety than we did with 3.23 in re stoichiometric. I’d still want to err on the rich side.

Getting the slop out of the trans would be the priority. A very exact converter match.

Once on the road it’s the steering. Body bushings and tie rods must be brand new. Zero box slop. Keeping drive axle centered (panhard Rod).

Make the motor great, but don’t lean on it too hard. It’s the wrong approach versus steering & handling mods for reducing number, degree, and time on ANY inputs to change from steady-state, lane-centered.

A dash mount vacuum gauge, fuel flow meter & tach provide the feedback. Shift per vac drop.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-24-2019 at 09:30 PM..