Thread: Tow bar angle
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Maybe. My old Toyota is about 4000lbs (rated to tow 3500 with bumper hitch), the Datsun is 2500lbs. If your tow is the same weight or more than the tow vehicle, you are likely going to have stability issues, good point. You may not have enough braking ability either, not safe.
Thanks. I just don't understand why towing a trailer of a similar weight worked perfectly and this doesn't. If I remember correctly the trailer was pretty level, so that may have something to do with it. I actually accidentally got it up to 70 MPH because it pulled so well I couldn't even feel it back there.

As for braking ability, the brakes actually felt okay(ish) when I was pulling the trailer. The empty trailer wasn't noticeable and the loaded trailer wasn't terrible. More brake pressure was required to stop, but not terrible. However, I have rear discs, Hawk performance pads, Powerstop slotted rotors, and braided stainless brake hoses, so that helps some. I am way more limited by traction than by braking power, so getting a proper hitch so the front of my car isn't lifting up would probably help quite a bit.